Facts around Hughes:
- He hasn't held season football tickets since 2009.
- He is an FCA leader/mentor for kids in the Memphis area, particularly at East High School.
- He had never been involved with recruits for us before, other than these few that he knew at the specific high school where he helps out.
- He took kids to Auburn, Arkansas State, and other schools, not just Ole Miss.
- Hughes's relationship with Harris and Freeze started when Harris and Freeze were at Arkansas State recruiting Moore and a couple others to play at Arkansas State. They were using Hughes (not an Arkansas State booster) as a mentor contact point BEFORE they got the Ole Miss job. The only thing that changed was that THEY moved to a school where Hughes had attended and where he had held season tickets at one point years before.
- And last but not least, the one kid that he was a mentor for that we landed was Herbert Moore, a 2 star reserve defensive tackle that we would've had no need whatsoever to cheat to get. He was coming the minute he got an offer from Ole Miss.
Do you honestly believe that Freeze and Harris considered Hughes a booster when they allowed him to sit in on a visit? Do you honestly believe they would take that risk to help land a 2 star kid that was coming to Ole Miss the minute we offered? Why would you even risk deliberately breaking the rules to help you land a kid that was begging to get a chance to come play for you? The answer is, you wouldn't, so clearly this was not deliberate or intentional in any way. It never should've been classified as Level I in the first place, and it will likely be reduced.
This wasn't Logan Young making arrangements to steer top rated kids from Memphis to Ole Miss. This was a man who was a legitimate mentor for a VERY lightly recruited kid, and that's the WORST thing in the NOA involving our staff.
Take your maroon colored glasses off. This is your smoking gun. This is the worst thing the NCAA has on our staff after 4 years of investigation. Once all those facts are put forward before the COI, do you believe they'll keep that violation as a Level I violation, or do you believe they're likely to reduce it based on the truth of the situation?